- 1cup Lentils (uncooked)
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil (avocado oil)
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped fine
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Optional - Cilantro Leaves
- Optional - 1 1/2 tbspn Nutritional Yeast
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil; add the lentils and reduce heat to low. Cook, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes until lentils are tender (but not completely falling apart). Drain any excess water.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion; cook and stir for 7 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper to the skillet, cook and stir for 30 seconds longer.
- Add the lentils, nutritional yeast (if using), 1/2 cup water to the skillet. Cook and stir, coarsely mashing the lentils with a fork, until the almost all of the water is absorbed. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve in any and all of your favorite meals that call for taco meat (e.g., taco, burritos, salads, nachos)!
This recipe was copied via Power Hungry Camilla; food writer and author who has a multitude of amazing recipes that are delicious, frugal and easy to make! Check out her website & instagram for other dinner ideas to mix up the routine or learn more about other types of ingredients and how to use them!